- Do you remember President Thomas S. Monson’s 3 recommendations for Christmas reading?
- #LIGHTtheWORLD Christmas activities for Primary-aged children
- David Archuleta’s MY LITTLE PRAYER helps #LightTheWorld with goodness
- Monica Scott’s children’s Christmas song “Prince of Peace” for #LightTheWorld
- VIDEO: The Christ Child: A Nativity Story | #LightTheWorld #TheChristChild
- #LightTheWorld 2019: An overview of the full initiative (including #GivingMachines)
- VIDEO: Home Evening Lesson for #TheChristChild #LightTheWorld 2019
- The Orem University Mall #LightTheWorld Giving Machines are open! #GivingMachines
- PODCAST: #LightTheWorld Listen, Learn, and Love podcast with Richard Ostler
- The @ProxyGivingMachines join the #LightTheWorld movement
- VIDEO: “This Is How We Bingham” visits the #GivingMachines and helps to #LightTheWorld
- VIDEO: Silent Night/What Child is This — Halee Crowther & Yahosh Bonner #LightTheWorld
- VIDEO: O Gladsome Light – GENTRI / Lyceum Philharmonic at American Heritage School #LIGHTtheWORLD
- VIDEO: Light the World 2019 Video Carousel (Africa Area)
- VIDEO: Rifftide and 13 other Latter-day Saint artists collaborate on HYMN OF CHRISTMAS to help #LightTheWorld
- VIDEO: What Child Is This? – The Tabernacle Choir with Kristin Chenoweth
- 2019 First Presidency Christmas Devotional — December 8, 2019 #LightTheWorld
- #LightTheWorld: Share a scripture with a friend or a loved one who may need a boost today
- BYU Vocal Point and the One Voice Children’s Choir surprises guests at the opening of the Orem, UT Giving Machines with an a cappella performance of “Joy to the World”
- President Russell M. Nelson sings “Silent Night” with 7-Year-Old Latter-day Saint musical phenom Claire Crosby to help #LightTheWorld
- LIVE tour of the Giving Machines and Christmas lights on Temple Square!
- A Christmas Shepherd’s Story | Pretty Piano Medley Behind Narrated Story of the First Christmas
- How the Philippines always excels in the #LightTheWorld initiative
- VIDEO: 4 “must-see” hard-to-find Church Christmas videos
- VIDEO: Luke 2: The Christmas Story – Read by Children (Tabernacle Choir) #LightTheWorld
- #LightTheWorld Giving Machines total nearly $6.3 million in donations for charities
- Highlights of the 2019 Light the World Giving Machines Initiative (Philippines)
- VIDEO: Hi 5 Live #LIGHTtheWORLD VIRTUAL KICKOFF with Steve Young, The Bonner Family, Nashville Tribute Band and host Brother Kori Andrews
Each year we, as Latter-day Saints, are able to listen to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional the first Sunday in December. Great inspirational messages and music to lift one’s spirit and to help set the tone of Christ’s birth. It is so easy to think of the rush of purchasing Christmas gifts and making it to the next Christmas potluck that we forget, not intentionally, the true meaning of Christmas.
During a Christmas Devotional (watch here), President Monson reminded us of 3 books he reads each December to help him keep the spirit alive in his heart. The 3 books he mentioned was The Mansion by Henry Van Dyke, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and Luke 2. All these books are available online to read for FREE. You can use Google Books or Project Gutenberg (which includes ePub & Kindle versions) for the first two choices and LDS.org for Luke 2. Follow the links below to start reading:
- The Mansion by Henry Van Dyke (Google Books | Project Gutenberg)
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Google Books | Gutenberg: print, audio)
- Luke 2
I hope that all of you will make the time to read these great classics to help set the tone for this Christmas season. We all need to remember why we celebrate Christmas. As President Uchtdorf made reference to another children’s classic, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, I quote from:
And the Grinch, his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: “How could it be so?”
“It came without ribbons! It came without out tags!
“It came without packages, boxes or bags!”
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before!
“Maybe Christmas,” he thought “doesn’t come from a store.
“Maybe Christmas…perhaps…means a bit more!”
“And what happened then…?”
Well…in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch’s small heart
Grew three sizes that day!
May we all have our hearts grow this Christmas season and share the spirit of giving to others. Merry Christmas!