It discusses three ideas regarding how each of us can #LIGHTtheWORLD and spread joy among your friends and family throughout the holiday season. Read more from the original FamilySearch blog post located HERE!
1. Treat Your Family with Love
Show genuine appreciation and love for treasured family members and friends. What better way to share light than brightening the mood of those who mean the most to you?
- Write and send a heartfelt postcard to a family member you would like to honor and thank for being a major part of your life.
- Perform a random act of service for your family, such as setting the table before a meal or making someone’s bed.
- Record and upload a story to the FamilySearch Memories gallery about a time a family member did something that truly touched your heart or made a positive difference in your life.
2. Share Knowledge and Enlighten Others
Take a moment to reflect on lessons you’ve been taught and moments when you gained a better understanding of a concept or idea. How have these experiences impacted your habits or routines? Perhaps what you learned was a cooking skill or driving for the first time. What family member helped strengthen your understanding?
- Thank a parent or grandparent for a lesson he or she once taught you or helped you learn by addressing their efforts in a personalized postcard.
- Share with another family member a tip or trick your grandparents taught you.
- Practice a skill you learned from your family. Seek opportunities to use that skill or talent to serve the people around you.
3. Send Mom or Grandma a Postcard
Mothers can be the most understanding friends and family members anyone can have. They’re not perfect, but they try to do what’s best for their families and provide a kind, listening ear. How has your mother, grandmother, or other motherly figure, made a difference in your life?
- Ponder on the qualities your mother or mother figure has that you wish you could exemplify or that you have learned from her. Write them on a postcard, and send it to her.
- Make a photo collage or a video showcasing your favorite photos and memories of times spent with your mom.
- Research your mother’s side of the family, and try to learn more about how she was raised and how her upbringing shaped who she is today.