The short answer is yes (uh–just watch the video).
Want more detail? Keep reading.
The website Mormon Rules discusses Mormons and dancing:
For some reason, many people seem to think that Mormons aren’t allowed to dance. While I agree that some Mormons can’t dance very well, Mormons certainly can dance!
In fact, the Mormon Church frequently sponsors dances for young men and women, ages 14-18. These dances are open to all youth–you don’t need to be Mormon–though certain standards are upheld. For example, modest clothing is required in order to attend. If you would like to attend a Mormon dance, ask one of your Mormon friends when the next one is in your area!
Many recent dances styles are suggestive and inappropriate. Mormons are encouraged to avoid these styles of dance. A Mormon pamphlet, called For Strength of Youth, says:
When dancing, avoid full body contact with your partner. Do not use positions or moves that are suggestive of sexual behavior.
As a Mormon, you get lots of questions. Do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you swear? To most of those, we answer no. But there is one question we answer with a resounding YES.
Do Mormons Dance?
DO WE EVER!
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, forgetting they are white and middle-aged.
I know what you’re thinking: MAKE IT STOP FOR THE LOVE PLEASE, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!
But despite what you have just seen and what you may have heard about us, we Mormons are actually pretty fine dancers. It’s in our blood.
While crossing the plains from the Midwest to Utah, early Mormon pioneers danced in the evenings as pretty much their only form of entertainment. This will make a lot more sense when you see how we Mormons dance. While Mormon dance moves may not be conventional, they are certainly entertaining.
Here are a few examples of prominent Mormons showing their moves, some with more success than others.
1. Mormon and former NBA forward Mark Madsen dances at the 2001 Lakers World Championship celebration with Shaq and Kobe.
See if you can count the lassos.
2. Jimmer is probably a better dancer than Mad Dog.
3. In 2009, Donny Osmond won “Dancing With the Stars” despite this pose.
4. Even Mormon convert Gladys Knight appeared on the show.
6. Returned-missionary Benji Schwimmer won “So You Think You Can Dance?” while still a practicing Mormon. While trained in ballroom, he showed his versatility with this hip-hop routine:
7. Mormon Chelsie Hightower came close to winning SYTYCD, and has since gone on to appear on seven seasons of “Dancing with the Stars”.