We previously wrote about how to put your ward directory on Google Earth. Reader “d cole” was kind enough to point out that the Church has provided a new, much easier (and we assume with less potential for security issues) way of doing this.
Before proceeding, remember that this is a pre-release version. So you’ll be helping the Church’s web guys by testing it out, but there may be more potential for things to go wrong.
- Go to https://prod-maps.lds.org/ and login using your LDS account.
- Click the “My Ward” link/tab at the top.
Now you should see your ward plotted on Google maps. You may need to zoom in, but it’s just the normal Google Maps controls, including switching between satellite and road views, etc. You can even switch (tab at the top) to “Microsoft” and see your ward plotted on Bing maps if you feel more comfortable with that.
Clicking a house will give you the people’s name, address, phone number, and email. Very handy for figuring out your home/visiting teaching route, who your closest LDS neighbors are, etc.
What uses have you come up with for this awesome tool?
Update: These features can also be accessed as part of the beta version of the new LDS.org via http://new.lds.org/maps/
Latest posts by Tevya Washburn (see all)
- Create New Year’s Systems, Not Goals - 8 January 2015
- 2-Day Tithing Settlement: How it Went - 19 November 2014
- Use Screenwriting Tricks to Make Your NaNoWriMo Novel Awesome - 29 October 2014