Elder Ronald A. Rasband’s talk revolves around the importance of seniors serving as missionaries in the ongoing gathering of Israel, a concept highlighted by President Russell M. Nelson.
Here are five key points from his message:
- The Gathering of Israel: Elder Rasband emphasizes the gathering of Israel as the most crucial event on earth today. This gathering is about bringing God’s children together in the last days to receive blessings and promises of eternity.
- Need for Senior Missionaries: He addresses the shortage of missionaries, particularly senior couples, to fulfill the requests worldwide. He recounts an experience in 2015 when only 10 senior couples were available to fill 300 requests, emphasizing the pressing need for more senior missionaries.
- Qualifications and Desire to Serve: President Russell M. Nelson encourages couples to pray and seek Heavenly Father’s guidance to know if the time is right for them to serve. Elder Rasband emphasizes that having a desire to serve may be the most important qualification.
- Personal Experience: Elder Rasband shares a personal story of his parents’ missionary service, detailing how they, as senior missionaries, influenced the conversion of a young woman named Rebecca Guzman and her family. This story illustrates the profound impact senior missionaries can have on individuals and families.
- Call to Serve: Elder Rasband directly calls upon seniors to serve as missionaries. He acknowledges potential concerns about leaving family milestones but stresses the unique and invaluable contributions seniors can make. He assures that the joy and blessings from serving will far outweigh any sacrifices.
The overarching message is a call to action for senior members of the Church to actively participate in missionary work, both at home and abroad. Elder Rasband highlights the specific needs in various mission fields and encourages seniors to explore the opportunities available for them to contribute to the gathering of Israel.
Questions to consider: